Publication date : 20/10/2016
Design and build prototypes and research infrastructure
Flanders Make grows with 20% in 2016 and is expanding the research infrastructure. Prototypes and test set-ups can be either machines or vehicles from our member companies or completely new machines/vehicles based on an innovative concept.
For realizing new set-up prototypes, you will:
- Take the lead in the mechanical design, coordinate the engineering.
- Be a sparring partner for the project leader.
We provide a cocktail of complex designs, challenging requirements and access to high-tech equipment.
More concretely, you will:
- Investigate and create the system architecture and the mechanical concept design.
- Take into account functional and technical requirements, as well as safety issues.
- Evaluate overall mechatronic machine functionality with a helicopter view.
- Build the infrastructure in cooperation with suppliers and engineering service providers.
- Customize functionalities with a hands-on approach.
- Be a point of contact for the project leader and experts in the knowledge domain.
- Participate in the strategy of the new infrastructure projects.
Here are some projects to look forward to:
Flanders Make wants to maximize part quality and production throughput in Additive Manufacturing. You will design a 3D printer which will be used to investigate process metrologies, in-process sensing methods, and real-time process control approaches with multiple laser sources, innovative optics such as, image printing by mirror diffusion of laser, and a high amount of sensors such as a thermal camera and a pyrometer. Novel control algorithms will steer the laser power and trajectories based on all the measured sensor data.
Ensuring Flanders Make can take the lead in research towards more autonomous and energy efficient off-highway vehicles, you will (re)build a hybrid tractor. You will integrate a generator as well as an energy-storage system and an electric motor and test the increase of the energy efficiency. You will also make the vehicle drive-by-wire and install localization systems such as GPS systems, vision systems and high-tech controllers from our member companies.
Creative designer translating ideas into new machines
- A Master degree in Engineering (Mechanics, Mechatronic, ,…).
- At least 10 years of experience in the industry, either in the architecture or design of machines.
- Affinity with mechatronic systems.
- Conceptual thinker;
- Creative in engineering;
- Hands-on in execution;
- Good coordinator who can build sustainable relationships.
Unique opportunity to collaborate with a research team and top companies
- Develop yourself in the network of top industry, universities and research institutes;
- An open-minded, flexible and challenging working environment;
- A warm atmosphere and top colleagues;
- An attractive salary with fringe benefits.
Flanders Make colleagues work together on projects in Belgium at site Lommel and at site Leuven (flexible workplace policy). For this position test set-ups will be situated in Flanders Make, site Leuven.
Flanders Make is the strategic research centre for the manufacturing industry. It combines the strengths of a team of application and system experts with the technological expertise of a range university labs that are an integral part of the Flanders Make network. The mission of the centre is to strengthen the long-term international competitiveness of the Flemish manufacturing industry by performing industry-driven, pre-competitive, excellent research in the technological domains of mechatronics, product development methods and advanced manufacturing technologies.
This research will result in applications for machines, vehicles, vehicle components and high-tech production systems at the participating companies.
To achieve this mission, Flanders Make conducts industry-driven joint projects and contract research assignments in the following research programs: Clean Energy-efficient Motion Systems, Smart Monitoring Systems, Autonomous Systems, Intelligent Product Design Methods, Design & Manufacturing of Smart and Lightweight Structures, Additive Manufacturing for Serial Production, Manufacturing for High Precision Components, Agile & Human-centered Production & Robotics Systems.
More information on our research:
Convinced? Send your motivation letter and cv
Do you feel you can contribute to our research with your expertise? Do you share our values and our mission? We are looking forward to reading about your story, your interest for Flanders Make and for this job in particular.
To apply, please send your motivation letter and cv to firstname.lastname@example.org